Thursday, April 12, 2007

Let it be known
We live in a age where it takes straight up courage to stand in something alone rather than stand amidst the consensus of interest of our peers. At this particular stage of my life, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. It's not so much me not trying to be like everyone else as it is me just wanting to be me more and more. I'm at a point when I want to claim who I am, the things I stand for, even the things I consistently screw up at. It's not about being cocky (an attribute most people say is characteristic of my personality). Why would I admit to being less of what I am? There are times however when I act otherwise. Last weekend, I encountered one of my homies from high school. He wasn't doing anything then; still isn't. He asked what I was up to and I just kind of played it off like I was naively taking life day by day carelessly like him. I don't wanna rub my blessings in other people's face, but if someone was to make a genuine analysis of my character, please believe, I'ma let you know what I'm about. I'm all about progress, honesty, and integrity. At the same time, I give myself leeway for improvement. For example, is it a goal of mine to find a relatable woman whose both values and desires compel me to be all that I can be just for her? Yessir! Will I be ready to get hitched if I meet her tonight? Come on now; no! Am I excited about becoming an optometrist? Best believe! Am I ready to pay over $100,000 in student loans back for the education I am about to receive? Obviously not (Pulling lint out of my pockets). These concepts that are central to what drives me can not only aid in a person's understanding of my motivation, but also convey to them what I do not stand for. If you are a B.S.er, you should know better not to associate yourself too closely with me. If you are lazy, you should know that E ain't here to carry nobody else around so scram! Make sense? Anyway, this is my coverletter to anyone who doesn't know me for me. Understand me a little bit better now? Hope so. Anyhow, I'm off to lab. Keep tabs on my blog for my next entry, "When Keepin' it Real in the Barber Shop Goes Wrong". Much luv.
-E.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in a age where it takes straight up courage to stand in something alone rather than stand amidst the consensus of interest of our peers

Seems worse than that - an age where you get ganged up against if you vary from the mainstream.

Anonymous said...

hey liked the post keep it real.. and as far the 100 g you r about to pay hey been there done that im paying the loans now

matiase