Wednesday, May 31, 2006

"The Fact Still Stands"
Me and one of my best friends went to see Da Vinci Code yesterday. We saw it at the Moolah Theater (wow!!! nice). Anyways, this movie puts a lot of things into question, Christianity namely. Critics have been raping reviews, bashing the movie by calling it blasphemous and what not. So lemme break down my interpretation. First it's a movie; and I know some Christians who would have a problem with facing the opposition of everything their faith revolves around. That's why we have faith. Some people develop faith and don't want to hear anything that falls short of their belief and understanding. Me, I had no problem with seeing it. Okay, so it goes like this: Jesus favored Mary Magdalene over his other disciples. Some people have a problem with this alone. "Jesus showing favortism?!" Get over it. Obviously if you understood Jesus to have disciples in the midst of his other followers in the first place, doesn't this give a hint to--favortism may be extreme but you get the picture. Next, Jesus and Mary were married and had a child...okay and? Lighten up people! In the movie some argued that as a result of this, the portrait of Jesus has lessened from the Savior of man to just another random good guy. Whoever thinks this probably didn't have that strong of a faith to begin with. Jesus was sent by God; he looked, walked, talked, ate, slept, and had emotions just like us. So what?--because he had a wife and child of his own, he is not capable of representing God as our savior? Some people are taking this movie waaaaay too seriously. It's just an idea. Even if it was true; it wouldn't change anything for me because the fact still stands that Jesus is the Savior of mankind who was sent by God to receive punishment for our sins, die, arise, and ascend to Heaven. Not saying I don't rely on the Bible 100% but look how many sources contributed to it's contents. I'm sure some content got lost, was forgotten, and I'm sure some is hidden for whatever reason. I can only work with what I have. So working with the Bible as I know it, as well as experience, I am brought to my present state of faith. That's funny because it's like: what if tomorrow I get a call from someone claiming to be my mother. She has credible evidence that I was switched at birth. Would this change my interaction, love, and sense of belonging to the family I knew as my own for 23 years? No.

2 comments:

DSTNCTION said...

AMEN! I agree 100%! I read the Davinci Code last summer and fell in love with the book! I saw the movie this past weekend. I love to talk about the Bible and history. When I was younger I wanted to be a Biblical archeologist...then I decided against it due to the heat and dirt and such...anywho, Jesus was flesh and divine. Whats wrong with him having a wife? Quit hatin' I believe in the WORD and if Jesus was married...uh ok?!? He was an example of how we should live and I know I want to be married someday, so whats the big deal. Its a movie. It should stir up some interesting conversation but give me a break; how can you seriously justify your faith being shaken by Dan Brown?

Anonymous said...

Wrong, in the movie they claimed that Jesus was not married and had a child out of wed lock. This being the case he couldn't have saved us because he was no longer pure and was a sinner like us. I believe thats what most catholics believe. I think I do these so called pentance and pray to to Mary because they felt like what Jesus did on the cross wasn't enough. And if I didn't know Jesus for myself, that movie would send me straight to hell.