Monday, February 27, 2006

In response to "Dear Mr. Hip Hop...... I absolutely HATE YOU!!"-- by http://jdjanelle.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_archive.html (Feb. 27th post). Read this before proceeding with my post. She, jdjanelle wrote her Feb. 28th post as a response to this and the comments that follow our posts. Please leave comments, if possible after our posts; let me know who you are feeling and who you aren't.
See, I wasn't even about to write; I need to be studying for this Cell Bio exam I have in the morning; yet I'm very compelled to do so anyways. Me and my homie have been going back and forth on some issues: sex, religion, music, movies, and the most frequent topic of "individuality and fun bumping heads with Christianity". Anyways, jdjanelle (I'm not gonna say her real name. lol) asserts that rap/hip-hop is the devil's work, and it is destroying our communities; and that charismatic figures such as Beyonce Knowles and Kanye West should be ashamed of the life they portray. Hmmm...lemme start by saying that nowadays there is a huge population of individuals (youth mostly) that are misled by those who are designated as leadership models for them. Some aren't led at all. As a result, over the increasing years, we have a very gullable (highly influenced by the slightest feat) population who is very susceptible to certain types of behavior, in this case music. I do agree that there are some types of rap that do nothing but boast and brag about "&#%%@# and *&%#$@!, power and money, ridahs and punks (from Makeveli--Tupac)". However even in this case, am I, a producer and music enthusiast, "evil" for liking Kanye's music because I think his beats are tight?! It's music like this and the types of people described above that make a bad combination yielding an army of misguided droned youths; yet the blame should not be entirely placed on the artists. It's a job; and it sells; can you blame them. It's not Ying-Yangs fault that Craig, a 16 year old who neither artist even knows, has a mannish reputation/personality because of the song "Wait". Also, I don't think gospel artists should be put up on any higher of a pillar or pedestal than any other artist because what you hear on the radio is not always a reality for the artist. jdjanelle talks about the way Beyonce dresses. Who knows?? Beyonce may hate portraying this style, but is highly influenced by those she works with, her family, her gift, and her bills. She may not yet have reached the point of "spiritual realization"/independence that some others were fortunate enough to experience. So don't judge what you don't know. The same goes for some of these gospel artists. Yeah, they may preach it through song (please believe because Donnie McClurkin is my homie!!), but nobody knows the life that they are living outside of the recording booth. That's right, so Hezekiah Walker, whether you did it or not (if you haven't heard just check the news), you should be given no more power than that of Lil' Jon, because for all I know, y'all could be close patnas. I'm defending a lot in this entry, particularly hip-hop. If you don't know hip-hop, then you're not gonna know all of the ins and outs of it--firstly that there is a difference between hip-hop and rap. Rap being the more flashy, catchy, random, bass-booming, and iconic form. Hip-hop being the more original, soulful, mental safari through our culture, experiences, and love. I'm defending rap to an extent as well, because in my case, some of it is catchy, and the beats are tight, but I'm not the gullable type to "Rob a jewelry store and tell em' to make me a grill (Nelly, Paul Wall, et al)" either. I don't expect jdjanelle to give hip-hop a try because she's not the type to explore realms she originally thought of as "bad", but, she'll never know how the lyrics of Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and so on will have you pushing repeat over and over because it allows us to hear what we all feel as true in a clear, flowing, and creative fashion. No one ever talks about the benefits of hip-hop; it's always the bad stuff. Yet if these charismatic figures turned their lives around, who knows if they would have any more of a positive influence than they already do through rap. By that I mean develop musical and creative talents or simply a sense of knowledge--now that's pretty damn good for such an ignorant generation huh? Take that jdjanelle! lol.

luv,

"lil E"

2 comments:

Girly Tomboy said...

First of all, you cannot judge what you do not know. And last time I checked, Ms. djanelle ain't the bouncer at Club Pearly Gates. (This reply is not meant to bash you, E)

With that said, I'll say this: These artists (rap and hip-hop) are not meant to be placed on a pedestal and considered 'role models'. They are not. They are simply asserting their First Amendment rights...with a beat.

Who's the real role model here? PARENTS. Y'know, the people that had these kids, pay for the fly-gear that they see in the videos and wear to school and the music they hear? Yeah, those people. The ones with the legal responsibility to their children.

They also have the responsibility to raise these lil bad-asses (all children are bad-asses until somebody teaches them home training) and teach them the difference between fantasy, reality, and how to behave as a person in this society regardless to how much money you eventually make in life.

PARENTS need to teach their children how to behave, not teachers and not BET/MTV.

DSTNCTION said...

"It's Tight But Its Right" My Pastor says this when he is preaching something that is the truth and a hush falls over the crowd. That uncomfortable silence that speaks volumes. I agree with Ms. JDJanelle. I am offended that anyone would put me in the "hip-hop" generation. I just spoke at a Black History Celebration and commented that when people say this, they are NOT complimenting us young people. No, we have been deemed, ignorant, lazy, uninspiring, etc. Am I blaming hip-hop artist for this? No! I blame us-you, me, her, him, they, whatever. We all make choices. Its the real "grown and sexy" who own up and accept responsibility for their choices. I, too, am appalled by the lack of positive role models in the "hip hop" arena. Who cares if Beyonce is naked for these hypothetical reasons...Choices, who cares if the beat is tight...what are the words saying? Shake my what?!? Choices. Most importantly, I am well aware that the message behind all hip-hop artist is not negative. However, what if you come home and there is a feast prepared. All types of food, deserts, beverages, just sheer greatness. You are all prepared to partake in this lovely meal and the cook comes out to introduce himself. He is greasy, has dirt under his nails and looks as if he hasn't taken a bath in ages. He is digging in his nose and scratching his butt. He just prepared this meal. Hmmm...are you going to eat? The food may even be decent but look at the presentation. Back to hip-hop...the underlying message may be decent but look at how it is presented... Vulgarity in every verse, half naked women prancing around in videos. I have heard Common and Mos Def and think they are truly talented. But do I really want to listen to the vulgarity to get to the "meat." Just how hungry are you?