Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Peep Game
In light of Black History Month, I feel compelled to chat about my experiences as a Black man. Firstly, I am SO proud to be Black. I can sit and view family photos from 100 years back all the way up to now and be able to see the process of increased opportunities for African-Americans made possible by "My forefathers". I tend to get militant when it comes to those who don't embrace their Blackness by either becomming knowledgeable about those who paved the way or by taking advantage of all the valuable opportunities that were once foreign to us. A few years back I got into a heated argument with a friend. She's mixed. She said that she only considers herself Black when applying for minority scholarships. She hangs around all Black people; she embraces Black music; she dates Black guys. Yet, as retarded as it sounds, she had never heard of Rosa Parks, Emmett Till, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr...don't make me go on (and for the record I am not exaggerating). I also tend to get militant when it comes to the overall self-portrayal of Black people mostly through music and behavior. Call me a sellout or whatever you want--its embarrasing. If you have ever worked with caucasians, as I have, and had the radio on, when all the sudden "Laffy Taffy" comes on......yea, very embarrasing. Also, nowadays, Blacks look up to the most random of people as if they were really charismatic. It's probably a result of most of us not having anyone to look up to in our homes. Ever notice how in primarily Black settings, 7 out of 10 people look the same--Tims/Girbaud/Tall Tee/Grill? This is a ghetto trademark. Most of all, the thing that get under my skin the most about my bruthas and sistahs is the fact that most are giving into the stigma (accepted almost throughout our community) that it is "cool" to appear and/or sound unintelligent. There is a fine line between embracing Blackness and what's ours versus looking and sounding ignorant (nigrish, as I call it). I'm too proud to accept this type of behavior as "okay". As I walk throughout my whack campus, I get several nose turning looks, mostly from caucasians, in which I can almost tell what these people are thinking. "Outta the way!", "Why is he here?" or "Biochem/Biotech major?! You can't possibly be smarter than me.". I get these looks all the time, even from some professors; but you know what? I give them the same look right back. Too proud to be discouraged by that B.S.. This isn't to say that if you're not Black, you don't have the authority to be as proud. lol. Whoever/whatever you are, be proud of it; but don't claim to be something and you know nothing about it, or make the efforts of those who paved the way for you in vain. Also, don't be one thing and claim to know what it's like to be the exact opposite. I don't care who you know, who you've dated, or whose music you listen to. You can only listen and hear what it's like, you will never completely understand, nor will I ever understand what it is to be something else. Feel me, or am I going on a "militant tangent"?

1 comment:

Girly Tomboy said...

Black power! .....and.....
Irish power! .....and.....
Cherokee power! .....and.....
Choctaw power! .....ok, I'm done. :)