Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Supa-Doopa-Natural
"The Exorcism of Emily Rose" movie has had me puzzled lately about the supernatural. This movie, based on a true story, was an eye-opener; not like the original 1970s "The Exorcist"; this flick is free from over-dramatic special effects and unnecessary crap. This one is way more realistic. Some of the things they describe in the movie almost bring a chill up my spine when I think about it. In the movie, the priest on trial talks about 3a.m., or what he explains it to be--the "demon witching hour". He says it is an hour where demons do most of their dirty work to mock the holy trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit--3); it is also an inversion of the accepted time of Christ's death--3p.m. I still wonder if this theory is actually accepted in reality among theologians because it makes sense if you have ever awaken after a terrible nightmare between 3-4 in the morning, or while laying down in bed, become overcome with an inexplainable foreign fright. I think everyone has had the dream where they were falling from some ridiculous height, and they actually could feel their stomach drop as they slept. Funny thing is, as many variations to such dreams, I have never met anyone who says that in such a dream that they hit the ground. Maybe the stomach-dropping awakening is God's way of releasing us from Satan's/demons actual grip/attempt on our lives during either the 3a.m. hour or any hour for that matter. My mom, a very devout Christian, watched the movie and said immediately afterward that she believes this girl's story can happen. She explained to me certain aspects of evil and fear that she never thought existed until she felt them. She told me about a time when she was pregnant with my oldest sister; she awakened in an upright position, with her hands motioning like she was pushing someone off of her. She was holding her breath and tasted water. Another time, she awakened early in the morning (3a.m.--?) for no particular reason except for the fact that she felt something drawing her to our front door, and although my mom is definitely no psychic, she had an overwhelming sensation of a powerful evil on the other side of that door. Instead of continually being lead to the door, she prayed for our home, family, and all of our souls, and she was able to avoid being drawn closer and went back to bed. Deep stuff huh? Most people are cool on seeing movies on ghosts and exorcisms--some because they are just scared, others because they wish to remain uncertain about the reality of the truth. Let's be real here; if you believe that people die, you may as well believe that spirits exist; I mean, once a person dies, they don't just "turn off" and not exist anymore. So it should be accepted that spirits exist in our world. Based on my experiences (sights, sounds, emotions, etc.), I know that demons exist as well. There have been times in my life where curveballs have knocked me off of my feet and afterward I could almost hear this "silent laughter". I don't know all of the rules involved, but I do know that our world is way more than meets the eye; and until you overcome an area of spiritual growth, most of the supernatural will be oblivious to you. It just makes me think though, if demons exist, all the bad things in life--rape, murder, hate, etc.--are they a direct association with demons in our world, or is it purely human choice? Is it a combination? Some people don't believe in spirits at all--good or evil; they belieive that life--the unexplainable and the explainable is all just a big coincidence. Others believe that God exists, but the devil does not; that the devil is simply a personification of the nature of anything that is not "holy". I don't understand why people wouldn't believe such things exist in our world. Maybe they're the "seeing is believing" type; maybe they're the type that wants to always feel a sense of knowledge and control in his/her life; i dunno. I know such things to exist, but I know also that all of the evil I mentioned above shivers to the sound of the words "Jesus" and "God"; so if you still are a skeptic to such supernatural entities, just know the aforementioned, for your own good.

No comments: